Two very popular fall ingredients come together in this delicious and creamy soup! This soup can be served as a meal or along side a garden salad.
Sweet Potato & Apple Soup
- ½ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup flour
- 2 qts vegetable stock, chicken stock or water
- 1 pt light cream
- 1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (canned optional)
- 1 ½ lbs apples, cored and chopped
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- Pinch cinnamon, ground
- Pinch nutmeg, ground
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- To taste salt
- To taste black Pepper
1. Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat, add onion.
2. Cook for 3 minutes or until onion is translucent.
3. Add flour and mix well to form a roux.
4. Add vegetable stock and whisk well to incorporate.
5. Add sweet potatoes, apples, cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
6. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes and apples are soft.
8. Puree soup using a blender, stick blender or food processor.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Serve hot