Two seasonal ingredients come together in this delicious soup! This can be served as a starter or as a meal with a garden salad.
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 qts vegetable stock, chicken stock or water
- 1 pt light cream
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs apples, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- Pinch dry sage, ground
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- To taste salt
- To taste black pepper
- Sour cream, garnish, optional
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat, add onion.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add flour and mix well to form a roux.
- Add vegetable stock and whisk to incorporate.
- Add butternut squash, apples, cream, brown sugar, sage and cayenne pepper.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until butternut squash and apples are soft.
- Puree soup using a blender, stick blender or food processor.
- Add rosemary and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with sour cream.