3 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup raisins or chocolate chips, optional
1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
1 tablespoon butter - melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking power, baking soda and salt.
- Pour in 1/2 cup melted butter, buttermilk and egg and stir together.
- Fold in raisins or chocolate chips and caraway seeds.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly.
- Form dough into a ball and place on either a greased or a parchment lined cookie sheet. With sharp knife, cut an X into the top of the loaf.
- Brush loaf with melted butter (approx. 1 tablespoon) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven 40 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- Let bread cool and ENJOY!