1 1/4 cups ground yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup corn kernels
8 tbsp butter
12 inch cast iron skillet
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter, set aside to cool.
- Place cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Add buttermilk to the eggs and whisk until incorporated.
- Pour eggs/buttermilk into dry mixture, stir until combined, but do not over mix. Add melted butter and stir. Fold in corn kernels.
- On stove top, over medium heat, melt the remaining 2 tbsp of butter in the cast iron skillet.
- Carefully pour batter into hot skillet once butter is melted.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm directly from skillet.