All of the flavors of a loaded baked potato in a delicious creamy soup! This recipe is a hit with the whole family, especially on a cold winter day. My boys loved garnishing their own soup!
2 tbsp butter or margarine
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp flour
8 oz cream cheese
2 lbs russet potatoes, diced 3/4 inch, skin on
2 qt. chicken stock
1 pt. light cream
Salt & black pepper, to taste
shredded sharp cheddar cheese
bacon bits or bacon cooked and chopped
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over med high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic. Cook over med high heat for 5 minutes or until onions are soft, stir often.
- Stir in the flour to form a roux, cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour the chicken stock into pot while whisking, make sure the mixture stays smooth.
- Add the cream cheese; continue whisking until the cream cheese is dissolved.
- Add the potatoes and light cream.
- Bring to a low simmer, reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook for 25 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into bowls and serve hot. Garnish with chives, sour cream, cheese and bacon.