Mexican Cauli-Cakes is a vegetarian delight and a dish inspired by the flavors of Mexico. Think crab cakes, minus the crab, add a bunch of mouthwatering veggies and then lightly seasoned with a spicy mayo! Yum.
Leftovers for a family can be gold! This recipe was concocted with leftovers from nightly meals, along with some ingredients I already had in my fridge and pantry. It's amazing what you can create with a little thought, some delicious leftovers, and all the spices (because I know you have tons). Whether you create this recipe alone with music jamming in the background, or make it with the whole family, creating a delicious dinner from what you already have in your fridge or your pantry is FUN and saves you money!
Serves 4-6 people, makes 8-12 cakes.
- 1 bag of shredded cauliflower
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parsley, minced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 Tablespoons mayo
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 3 teaspoons mustard
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons Tajin
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- 2 large Egglands Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- Whisk 2 large Egglands Best Eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper to the whisked eggs.
- In a large bowl, add cauliflower, breadcrumbs, and parsley.
- Add the egg mixture to the large bowl.
- Add the onion, green pepper, and red pepper.
- Use a fork to combine the ingredients.
- As the mixture binds together, it will make a dough-like mix.
- Spoon a palm size of the mixture to make the patty. Roll into a meatball-like structure and then flatten like a hamburger.
- Spray the pan with olive cooking spray and then heat it on medium.
- Lay patty, flatten down with a small spatula. Flip every 3 minutes until cooked to golden. Typically about 10 minutes.
- Serve on a plate with either Pico de Gallo or Guacamole (recipes here), or my favorite Spicy Mayo (see below)!
- 45 minutes
- Combine 2 Tablespoons mayo with 1 teaspoon of hot sauce and a pinch of pepper. This makes one serving. Garnish with parsley.
- Cooking time 25 minutes, prep time 30 min.
- Mini spatula, Cuisinart frying or saute pan
You too can use your leftovers to make a tasty creation! Share your leftovers with us on #MacKidEATS and the recipes you put together.