Sometimes during the summer, it's just too hot to grill outside. On those days it's definitely too hot to turn on the oven. That's when I love using my Instant Pot as a one meal pot because I can cook a delicious meal using minimal heat and energy.
This Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is a family favorite — all year round. I like to serve this tortilla soup with a side salad or sliced watermelon. Boom! Good to go. Oh except don't forget 'a side' of frosty margaritas for us big kids!
Instant Pot Spicy Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or any high heat oil)
- 1 onion, diced (reserve some for topping)
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 large jar of roasted red peppers drained and chopped
- 1 can of corn drained
- 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 5 cups or about 2 pounds of cooked shredded chicken
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14.5-ounce) cans diced fire-roasted or Mexican style tomatoes with juices
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro (reserve half for topping)
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crushed tortilla chips or strips
- Sour cream
- Chopped onions or scallions
- Shredded cheese
- Mexican cheese
- Lime wedges
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced jalapenos
- In your Instant Pot, on the saute setting, heat olive oil.
- Add onion, green pepper, jalapeno, and garlic. Stir often and cook until soft and onion begins to brown.
- Add in the taco seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir until fragrant.
- Now add your roasted peppers, corn, beans, chicken, tomatoes, and stock.
- Continue to cook and stir for 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice and 1/2 of your cilantro and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Serve in bowls and top with your favorite toppings, including the remaining cilantro. Enjoy!