Recently we stumbled upon this soup recipe and thought it was the perfect time to share something not only healthy, but also immune-boosting. This soup recipe is from our new friend Debra Delson from Healing Plates and Delson Institute for Wellness. We hope you are squeezing in as much power foods as you can. Stay well and enjoy!
The following two soups are powerhouses for immune-boosting properties. For years I have used these soups to support patients undergoing and recovering from cancer treatments and patients with immune-compromised diseases. And also just when we are sick.
If you take the time to make it, make a big pot full and freeze half or more. Fresh soup will last in the fridge for up to four days, while frozen it will last up to three months!
Please note I make recipes super easy for anyone to make, even if you don’t cook. Don’t worry about exact amounts that make it stressful. Cooking is not meant to be stressful. It is healing and easy when guided.
Green Monster Soup
The combination of vegetables, roots, herbs, and seasoning in this vegan soup all work together to pump up immune response and healing processes from a cellular level.
Cut up the following ingredients (rough cuts are fine because you are going to blend it!):
- 1 onion
- 4-5 heads garlic
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 bag prewashed cut up spinach
- 1 head of Swiss chard or kale
- 4 carrots
- 6 small red potatoes, if they are large, then use 4 (this thickens your soup naturally)
- 1 head cilantro
- 1 green apple, skin on
- Put all the ingredients in a big soup pot, cover with water to 1/2-1 inch over the top of the vegetables.
- Season with Celtic sea salt (I like Celtic because it has minerals your body needs).
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover so the water doesn’t all evaporate.
- Let simmer for an hour. You want all the veggies cooked until soft.
- Turn off the heat, uncover, and let cool down.
- If you have a handheld blender stick, use that. If not, ladle soup into a blender after it's cooled.
- Blend the soup until creamy and fully pureed.
4 ways to enjoy Green Monster Soup:
- Have a bowl of soup with a store bought rotisserie chicken or roast your own. If you have children, add a side of rice, pasta, or a warmed tortilla. Kids need carbs … and they love them.
- Add chunks of avocado to the top and a drizzle of olive oil. Yum! Makes a complete meal.
- For kids, make a bowl of soup with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side. Use whole grain or gluten-free bread and organic cheese. Please try to use either grass-fed butter or olive oil for cooking the grilled cheese.
- Add some baked fish or other healthy protein along with a bowl of soup for a complete meal.
These are just some ideas to show you how to incorporate Green Monster Soup into meals ... though I think it makes a great meal just on its own!
To your Health and Happiness,
Healing Plates and Delson Institute for Wellness