This chicken and dumplings recipe is so easy, oh so good, and very comforting- and one of my family favorites.
You can easily make this with chicken noodle soup instead of broth and water too. If you do that, you'll have dumplings and noodles! You'll just need 3 cans of chicken noodle soup combined with 3 cans of water in place of the chicken or turkey broth.
We always make a double batch at my house, as the leftovers are just as good! This recipe serves 4-6 people.
- Tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups raw chicken breast chopped
- 4 cups chicken or turkey broth or three 10 1/2 oz. cans of chicken noodle soup
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups baking mix (we used Bisquick)
- 2/3 cups milk
- Salt, pepper, and parsley to taste
- Heat butter and saute celery and carrots until just tender over medium heat
- Add chicken and brown lightly - it will finish cooking in the broth
- Add broth and water and bring to a slow simmer
- Mix baking mix and milk into a soft dough
- Drop by spoonfuls into the slowly simmering broth
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes
- Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes
- Garnish with parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste